Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Short Entry....While It Is Fresh.

So.....

I've sort of instinctively known, for awhile now, that when I become a teacher I will be 'one of THOSE teachers'. The kind that my students will either love - or hate- with little room between. I mention this because it was brought home to me today during a discussion with a fellow student about 'what students should know and when should they have learned it and what is the value of learning things that some folks consider 'obsolete methods/tech', etc...' (eg: methods of 2D design (primarily)...though I broadened it to include theatre stuff, since this person has said that they worked as a tech at one point...). And I got a bit......focused when explaining my view. So I guess I qualify as a 'curmudgeon' in that aspect. And, funnily enough, I am totally okay with that.

I really feel that students should still learn 'old techniques'. And I'm unapologetic about it. So, as I said, I'll be 'one of THOSE teachers'....And, I suppose, one of THOSE grad students too, especially if I get (as I dearly hope) a TA gig at whatever grad school I go to.......

Okay. That's about it. Just wanted to share that 'insight' while it was fresh.


1 comment:

  1. You go Carl! If you teach the old way, it's easier for the student to make more in depth comparisons after they learn the new ways and get a bit of experience under their belts. I speak from experience...

    ReplyDelete