Sunday, June 24, 2012

Well........

Sigh.

Yes. I started this entry with an exhalation indicative of frustration or some other, potentially pensive emotive state.

Sigh yet again.

Here is the situation:

As I mentioned previously I have been hired by the Mt Washington Valley Theatre Company to serve as their TD for the Summer 2012 season. Hurray!.....And I think I also stated that A) they were unsure that they would be having a season this year and so are getting things organized late and B) that they also agreed to cover a flight out as an advance against some of my seasons pay (at least, that is how I understand the arrangement...). Those two things are important to remember.

I did some online searching and found various flights and sent the info to the contact there for them to proceed with....and then I waited......and waited.....and....well, you get the idea. Then I sent some more, alternate flight info to the contact there.....and waited. Which is, mind you, completely understandable given that they are also auditioning/hiring a full staff beyond me.....Then I discovered some......disquieting news. I saw a post via the theatre's Facebook page that they were looking for a scene shop to rent for the Summer build. Huh?! The last info I had they had arrangements with a local business owner to use a 'storefront/warehouse space' that was available. Apparently, that must have changed....

The original schedule had us starting work on the 26th (this Tuesday). The last email I have from the contact there said that 'because of other issues' things might not be able to start till the 27th and so it would be 'fine for you to arrive on the 25th or even the 26th'.......I can only presume the 'other issues' include needing to find a shop space.....shrug.

We don't open the first show till July 10th. And as the first show is Nunsense Jamboree which is, from all I can determine, a fairly light build we should be okay as far as that goes. And again, I totally get and understand that there are other arrangements needing to be made beyond mine. It's NOT my first rodeo....It is just that the waiting and all is beginning to ravel my nerves a bit is all.

Anyway, I'm very, VERY thankful that the theatre is willing to work with me as far as getting there goes. I just really want to do a good job and to get to work.......

So that's that story.....so far. I'll add more once I know more....Or should I need to 'vent' again.

In other, somewhat tangentially related, news: I am still in planning work for The Veldt production this Fall here at UAF. I must be honest and admit that it has only been about 20% on my schedule as opposed to what it might/could be, in part due to the organizing and such for the Summer gig......

Also, I have to announce that I received a continuation of my Wood Grant for the upcoming academic year. While not as large a sum as last years I am still incredibly grateful to have been selected! Not sure if I've previously mentioned it but, due to some glitch in the process, I also seem to have not been listed as having applied for the UAF Theatre Dept scholarship that I've had the last two years. So it was given to someone else. IF that person does not claim it (ie: they don't enroll or fail to show up in the Fall) I am listed as an alternate. Sigh and shrug. Which means I need to find other funding. Still searching for, submitting, etc additional applications for scholarships, grants, etc. I'll be applying for such things as the Osher Reentry Scholarship and several online essay based scholarships, but some of those deadlines are really close to the beginning of the academic year.....Eeeeeek! So, as always, if anyone has any recommendations, suggestions, etc about grants and such please let me know. Thanks!

Another bit of news: As of right now (please note the disclaimer, which is because I still have an outstanding incomplete on my transcript, even though I have submitted the required essay/paper) based on my GPA I received a letter from the Chancellors Office and it announced that, for the Spring 2012 semester, I made the Chancellors list. Amazing what a 3.92 GPA can do for you.......I just hope that the Incomplete turns into a grade that lets me keep that status.

I guess that's about the size of it for this entry. Here's hoping that the next one will include details about the NH gig....and, if I keep focused, about the scholarship and grad school searches......Till then.



No comments:

Post a Comment