Thursday, May 21, 2015

An Epiphinal Moment Or Such - 05/21/15


So.

It is May. The time of graduations.

Tonight, after a rehearsal for a show that I am working deck crew for, I went to get some food before heading back to the University to use the net access here for various things, including some prep work on a show I am directing/designing this Fall (additional details on that project will be in a separate post). And I had a somewhat stark realization.

I have, for all intents and purposes and in one form or another, been doing theatre for - roughly - forty years.

Forty. Years.

And just the other day I came across a button that I picked up a couple of years ago at the local comic book shop here in Fairbanks. It says: "I haven't learned the secret of anything. I'm just old." And in an interesting bit of synchronicity, I just happened to stick that button onto my school backpack this morning...it is staring me in the nose as I type this.

Forty.

The fact that I hit my 'double nickle birthday' in a few weeks has probably also played a role in this reflectiveness and nostalgia. And while I have yet to receive my B.A. - just 12 more months, give or take - I can't help but look back and be grateful. Consider....

*I've been able to work for the Mouse Factory (East Coast Branch), and be a part of the crew for the opening of a new live show attraction...

*I've worked in the shadow of one of the greatest theatre cities in the world (New York) more than once...

*I've toured with educational touring shows that brought live performance into towns whose children had never consider that such a thing might exist...

*I've had the privilege of working with various theatrical artists whose skills have taught me much, no matter their age...

So. Being reflective and all, the song above seemed rather appropriate. Especially since I 1) wore out my cassette of the cast recording of this show back in high school and 2) this was the first show I ever saw in New York. Summer. 1977. So even if parts of the show have not aged well, it still holds a special place in my heart.

Sigh.

The intent of this was not to be maudlin. Just...nostalgic. And grateful.

More soon.



 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings



                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum


No comments:

Post a Comment