Thursday, June 11, 2015

Graduate Schools - The Tactical And The Practical (Part 1 of ??)

In the newest of the variety of developments regarding my ongoing plotting and planning towards my MFA I have to report that I have come across a new program that might be a good fit for my goals and talents.

First, some backstory:

As some of you reading this are aware, I consider myself a scenographer - for reference, here is the Wikipedia entry regarding scenography: Wikipedia - Scenography and another description from a now sadly unmaintained website that specifically covered the subject: Theatre Design - Scenography ....So, with those facts in mind, I have been looking for a program that will allow for artistic and academic explorations in multiple design areas, as opposed to more narrowly specializing in just one.

Now, those sorts of programs seemed to be in surprisingly short supply. I had, through a somewhat random contact during an event that I was working a couple of years back learned about the program at the University of Kansas, which is explicitly an MFA in scenography. It even uses the word on that snazzy piece of paper that you work for three years to obtain. So it went to the top of my short list. Here's a link to that programs web page: University of Kansas - MFA in Scenography

For the longest time I thought that it was the only program that might truly fit my plans. Then I somehow - I honestly forget exactly why or how - came across the program at the University of Iowa. And while they don't specifically express their program as a scenographic one, they do make frequent reference to degree candidates having a second area of specialization. In addition, one of the primary focuses of the program there is new plays, which has some appeal. And one my favorite scenic technology textbook was written by faculty there. So that program also joined my short list. Here's a link to that programs web page: University of Iowa - MFA in Design

Admittedly, I also still have a soft spot for the University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign. I spent a few really pleasant years in that town during my initial undergraduate experience during the early 1980's, and I love the facilities that the department has available, including one of my all time favorite experimental venues the Armory Free Theatre. And there seems to be some sort of transition occuring that might make what had been a highly focused conservatory program into a slightly more scenographically oriented one...though admittedly, such a change is still somewhat unclear. So I have that program on my list as well. Here's a link to that programs web page: University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign - MFA in Design / Production

So that was, excluding such wild hair extreme possibilities as Yale - where one of my professors at one point suggested that I look into their technical direction program - and NYU - because doing theatrical design school in Manhattan would rock - the basic list.

Now, only two of the schools specified above are members of the URTA interview program. Those are University of Iowa, and University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign. But I am working on my planning for a trip to the URTA portfolio review and interview session this coming February in Chicago, so yesterday I decided to start nosing through all the various member program, page by page. And I stumbled on a surprise...

The University of Minnesota.

They are an URTA member school. They have an impressive, four theatre complex that houses the department. They specifically state that, though dependent on state funding, they generally offer assistantships to all students that are accepted into the program - generally three to five students a year - and that would include a tuition waiver as well as a stipend and health benefits. And they make the following statement:

"It is expected that each student would have, upon entry, a primary area of design emphasis (in either scenery/properties, costumes, lighting, or sound technical production). This design/tech emphasis is the main focus of the coursework. A secondary area of interest would be developed through coursework and design assignments. The final creative project is to design a supported production demonstrating ability in these two areas." (Emphasis added by yours truly.)

That last line certainly sounds like the program has a strong leaning towards having a scenographically based approach. Almost like the statement from the University of Kansas when it says:

"Scenography classes are at the core of the curriculum. While in the program, students will design at least four realized productions in the University Theatre. They will do at least one lighting, one costume and one scenic design, and preferably a combination of two or all design areas for one production."(Again, emphasis added by yours truly.)

So yeah....I am adding the University of Minnesota to my short list. Here's a link to that programs web page: University of Minnesota - MFA in Design and Technology

Which makes the short list - as of today - as follows:

#1 or #2 - The University of Minnesota

#2 or #1 - The University of Kansas

#3 - The University of Iowa

#4 - The University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign

And yes, I am still uncertain as to the rankings for the top two slots. Kansas has the program specifically structured as one in sceneography BUT Minnesota offers the potential to be funded almost automatically if I am accepted into the program.

Of course, I'd still love to go to school somewhere near to Manhattan...perhaps Temple, since Philadelphia is a short bus or train ride away. But as the subject of this entry says, I need to think tactically and practically. And looking at my skills, my talents, my portfolio, and my finances I think that the schools on this list are my best bets.

Well, that is the update for today. I'll ramble some more later on such subjects as my ongoing scenographic work on Antigone, which the Student Drama Association here will be producing in the Fall, some various other design projects that seem to be coming together, my classes this Summer, and my continuing planning for URTA.

Till then....



 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings



                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum


No comments:

Post a Comment