Monday, July 19, 2010

Housing Assignment And Stuff.....

Apparently the letter carrier gets here later than I would have thought during the week. I checked the mail about 1230hrs and there was nothing. But when I checked again (just for grins) about 90 minutes ago (roughly 1830hrs, +/-) a letter from the Department of Residence Life was there. And when I opened it, it confirmed what I had requested. So, starting on Sept 7th 2010 my physical address in Fairbanks will be:

Carl L Sage
Wickersham Hall
Room 228
732 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks AK
99775

This is where I will be BUT (importantly) this will NOT be my US Postal Service mailing address. Now that I have a physical address there in Fairbanks I can submit an application for a post office box at the University substation. I hope to have that address by mid-week or so.....FedEx, UPS, etc packages would be able to be sent to the residence hall tho'.

Still no info on who my roommate(s) will be....I suspect that I won't know what I am getting till I get to Fairbanks. Sigh.

As for the "stuff " portion of our show today:

1) I am back to sifting yet again more stuff to figure out what I can do without. Spent this last weekend down at my brothers house doing sorting and packing and such. Tried to pack/label my belongings in such a way that it would/will be easy for someone to get things out to ship up if I need them. However, I have to admit that process has me a bit concerned/nervous. Not quite certain as to the why of it....just tense about someone else having to rummage thru boxes of my stuff to find something I guess. Especially as last weekend may be the last time I get any significant chance to sort anything that is there in Arkansas before I leave......

2) I am working on yet another essay for an additional scholarship opportunity. I've been in touch with the Financial Aid Office and have most (tho' potentially not all - such as the official deadline,etc) of the details for a scholarship aimed at older, non-traditional, returning students. Sounds like someone we know, huh ? Apparently, the university has received a $1 million dollar endowment to allow for these scholarships (yep, plural - potentially up to 12 recipients). They announced receiving the endowment on July 9th and the "rough deadline" for the application essay that I heard from the Financial Aid Office is "mid August". The essay subject is pretty straight forward: 500 words addressing my inspiration for returning to school. If I understand correctly, these scholarships would be disbursed prior to the Fall semester payment deadline, so if I am selected I could "stack it" with my other scholarship. Potentially paying for virtually the entire Fall 2010-Spring 2011 school year with little or no out of pocket costs. Suffice it to say, it would be an amazing help....

Well I suspect that, when I began typing this post, I had more to say...however, at the moment, I have nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment