Friday, April 19, 2013

Artistic Addenda

So....(Strange how I seem to be starting various comments and posts with that word recently.....anyway....)

Just a brief bit of artistic comment, that I have been thinking on since it happened:

We've been working recently on our final project for this semesters 3D Design class. And everyone in the class had meetings with the instructor. And after we had discussed mine, the instructor made some comments about how she liked how it sort of (as I recall her statement): "Addressed the appropriation of native (or was it tribal(?)) imagery by rave culture."

Oh. Kay.

I had to be candid with her and admit, that was not my intended narrative. Honestly, I am not sure I had a real 'narrative thread' for the piece at that point. Except perhaps (maybe) something dealing with the loss of species and/or habitat (the piece involves a cyclic transition between a video projection and some UV reactive painting on some 3D forms....). And I just came to that by way of starting with thinking about some fairly cool effects I've seen used, as well as wanting to do a 'test of concept' for an URSA grant project idea I have. Which, as it turns out, is fairly different than what I am going to be doing in the 3D Design project. Part of how pieces 'metamorphose' I guess.....

It also just goes to show, at least half (and probably much, much more) of what happens in the gallery is going on inside the patrons head. Brought in by them. And carried out by them.

More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment