Monday, July 21, 2014

Time And Technology Changes

I strikes me, as I sit here waiting for a large format printer to produce various faux newspapers for the Tibbits Summer Theatre (2014) production of Guys And Dolls just how much has changed over the passage of years that I have been involved with theatrical properties.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was mocking up newspapers by cutting and pasting (or perhaps more accurately, cutting and Spray 77-ing) various things printed on a regular sized printer and/or dummied up via a Xerox machine.

Not that that is a bad thing. Such skills are worth knowing, both for historical context and for the design potentials that they inspire. Because knowing old techniques can help a designer stretch themselves. At least, I believe so. After all, if I had not known about the 'old school' technology of continental parallels, my design for a set of touring shows could have been much more difficult. That said, having image manipulation programs like Photoshop (and I don't mean the CS versions, but even old school ones like I use - Photoshop 6) and/or GIMP, etc makes portions of the creative process much more streamlined. Leaving more time to devote to the actual 'product'.

So...Old school. New school. Combined, they make a 'win/win'.

More later.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum

              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings 





No comments:

Post a Comment