Monday, June 29, 2015

An Interlude-ette -- 06/29/15

This will be a brief follow-up on my adventures with my grant proposal and my moments of anxiety in that regard.

So, after having some significant anxiety about all things proposal and such ( see my prior entry for details ) I decided to touch base with the folks at URSA in person. After all, I was already on campus and such so....shrug.

Well, the folks there were very nice and understood, given my issue with the online form not taking the application the first time, how I might be anxious about stuff. So the lady pulled out a file folder and verified that yes, my proposal came through fine. So did the letter of support from my primary mentor on the project. So that alleviated my angst somewhat.

I also have to say that, while I only got a glimpse of the collected proposals in the folder, it seemed to me as though there were not that many of them. My ballpark guess would have been about 8-12 total...maybe? Which might well aid my chances of being selected. Or not. I do not want to put any carts in improper positions in relation to their equine partners.

But I do want to keep a positive mental attitude. So...yeah.

Have I said in this missive how much I really, really want this? Truth. I do. Partly due to the project and partly due to the fact that the grant might also cover my costs for the URTA portfolio session next February.

Now, all that said, I have also been working on some back up ideas in case I don't get selected. Mostly back up ideas for the project...still not certain about the URTA situation.

These back up ideas are kind of intriguing to me, and a part of that is how I keep thinking about the phrase/concept that one of my professors used in my Collaborative Process class: Enabling Constraints. That is a situation where you find yourself locked within certain boundaries that initially seem problematic, but by facing them you are forced into ideas that you might never have previously considered. And it's possible that those ideas might be better in some ways than what you had initially intended.

On a different note....I am, as of a few days ago, going to be serving as scenic designer for one of the mainstage shows this coming academic year. The show is Closer. It's a thesis project for a directing major. An interesting tidbit is that the URTA sessions in Chicago are taking place the during the tech rehearsals for the show. So I will definitely need to have all ducks in all rows on that production, since I - hopefully - will be out of town for a couple of days.

Also, some somewhat frustrating news: two of the four faculty members in the theatre department here at UAF are leaving. One to take a gig at a college in New York state and the other to take a gig at UAA down in Anchorage. And one of them was my academic adviser, as well as being the faculty adviser for the Student Drama Association. Heavy sigh. Of course, I do understand that they need to take advantage of various artistic and academic opportunities. And given the fact that the department was faced with possible elimination - and truth be told it still has some things that have to be worked out to stay in business - it makes sense for them to have been looking elsewhere. But I have to be candid, it still makes me frown a bit though.

Well. I had not intended to ramble so. But perhaps my doing so is a good thing, since I really need to keep providing fresh content to this blog. However, it is nearing time for me to board the bus to head home so...

More later.





 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings



                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum



No comments:

Post a Comment