Saturday, January 23, 2016

Strangeness Is Not Only An Aspect Found In Particle Physics

It has been a bit since my last post - though I suppose a period of ~15 days is nowhere near as long as some of my prior lapses in posting. There have been a couple of interesting developments/occurances since last I typed.

First, I had interviews for two (paying) gigs on the same day (last Monday, the 18th). I've never done that before. One was early in the morning, due to the theatre being a Summer stock based down in the lower 48. And the other was mid to late afternoon, for a gig touring here in Alaska in the month of April. It was a bit strange. But I had mostly good feelings with both when I was done. The Alaska tour folks had said that they would be making their decision in a few days. Sadly, I have yet to hear back. The Summer stock plans to have its staffing done by mid February, and they need to see my online portfolio which, due to a variety of issues, has been slow to being revised. Part of what my day today is about: online portfolio revision and building/continuing to build a scenic model (or two) for the NUAI's.

Second, this week I received a couple of "out of the blue" emails from graduate program recruiters. One implied that he had seen my portfolio. As I mentioned above, the online version of that is still in rehab/being updated. So unless he was speaking of my older online portfolio on Tumblr (a link to which has been attached to several of these posts) I don't know where he saw it. And he also implied that we had in contact previously. Which, as far as I am aware, we have not. Curious. Then today I just got an email from a recruiter who said they liked the resume I posted on the URTA site and asked me to look into their program in lighting design. Which given that the URTA computer has me listed as a scenic design emphasis person kind of surprised me. Though admittedly I *do* have a bunch of lighting included on my resume as well. Another interesting thing is that I had not really given much, if any, consideration to either of these schools. No reflection on their programs. I just...hadn't. So with those two schools included, as of this moment I have probable/definite interviews with 4 programs, out of the roughly 40 who will be in Chicago. I believe I mentioned one of the others in my last post. And after sending out a sort of "Hello, one of your alums was my first college tech theatre instructor, and I will be at the NUAI's..." sort of email with my resume attached I got an email back saying (basically) "I am looking forward to speaking to you/seeing your station in Chicago." So...4. With ~13 days remaining till my session (Feb 6th, 2016). At this rate, who knows how many folks I'll end up talking to.

The third thing is less positive, but no less confusing or anxiety provoking.

Due to budget issues, the state of Alaska has instituted a freeze regarding travel for those within the university system. And there is some discussion as to if the university will pay for my trip to Chicago. The whole thing was approved last semester, including the purchase of none refundable airline tickets. But now it apparently needs to get additional/renewed signatures: first from the Dean (who signed off previously) and then the Provost. The required spreadsheet form - which has a deadline of next Monday the 25th - was submitted yesterday. So now I wait. Logically, I cannot see how they can "take back" my airfare, since the tickets are bought and paid for and such.  But still....I wait. Best case is that the Provost signs off on it. Since missing this would negatively impact my educational advancement, and the paperwork states that in that case exceptions to the freeze can be made, I am hopeful. Plus, the whole trip was funded by a grant, not out of the general fund or whatever. I will admit that I have a worry that they may say "Fine, you can fly out. And since you paid for the NUAI's out of your personal funds (though I got reimbursed from the grant monies) we can't stop you from going to that. But we will not authorize the hotel stay."

As I said, anxiety producing. Especially since I have not been able to locate a day job. And with not taking classes this semester, I can't get a student job either. Sigh. I've sold one or two items to help keep ramen on the table, but I don't have much of salable value. Making me a bit more crazed and concerned about my finances than usual.

Well, I need to get back to work on the online renovation project. And perhaps grab a bite to eat.

More later.



 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings



              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 



                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum



No comments:

Post a Comment