Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Interpretational Dynamics




[NOTE: Because I am something of an academic, I attempt to properly attribute any media I might post. That said, this image set has shown up in various sources on my feed for some while. I do not know who originally created the set. Any credit for the image set belongs to them…]

Normally when I see this photo set show up across my feed(s) there is some sort of ‘snarky response’ included. And that sort of response may well have been the intent of the editors/writers of the reality show in question because, after all, conflict helps sell such programming.

However, as one who aspires to various creative fields I think that the set is worth sharing not for any ‘snark’ but rather as an important lesson on one of the proper ways to respond during a critique. Because critiques are about getting better, and about looking at your work through another, potentially neutral, set of eyes.

Don’t get ‘defensive’.

Don’t attempt to ‘bargain’.

Listen.

Take notes.

Even if you still disagree, that is not the point. Say ‘thank you’, consider what was said, and after that then decide how to apply it to your work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                              My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings 



              A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment