Friday, May 16, 2014

Summertime. And The Livin' Is...

Well. Not too many people who have experienced Summer stock gigs would refer to them as 'easy'. But having a gig is a living. Or at least some badly needed income. So, with that said...

I've held off with this announcement for a bit, because I wanted to be certain to have the contract and related paperwork signed and mailed back. Now that that has been accomplished, I am happy to (officially) announce that I have a gig with a Summer stock company for their 2014 season.

I'll be working as the properties master for the Summer mainstage shows at the Tibbits Summer Theatre, in Coldwater MI. A nine week contract, beginning in June. The season as it stands currently will be: The Look of Love, A Chorus Line, Guys and Dolls, and Alone Together. There will be a properties intern, but their focus will be on producing for the children's theatre shows. So it is, basically, a one person shop. As such I suspect that the workload will be similar to some of what I did previously at TLTOTS (The Little Theatre on the Square). Given the composition of the season, I do not currently have any significant worries.

As I said, I'm happy to have the gig. And I also must say that I am admittedly a bit surprised in how my gig searching turned out. Why? Because of the following:

** There were, basically, three theatres that all contacted me around the same time regarding gigs for the Summer. That is three responses out of ~18 resumes. Plus one response which I believe I may have mentioned in an earlier post, which I really only got the call back on due to an error (since corrected) in my resume (short version of the recap: I had not adjusted my 'expected graduation date' to reflect various changes to my timetable...and the schedule they had would not jibe with my schooling. Shrug.). Not all of the resume submissions were for properties (some were for carpentry gigs, some for scenic design, etc). Basic calculations imply that I had, for this gig search, a ~1 in 6 positive response rate, with a ~1 in 9 job offer rate. So very roughly a 10% positive result. Having had similar searches in the past which never even resulted in getting a single phone call back, I'll take that as a win.

** Of those three responses mentioned, the phone interview from one seemed less an interview and more a "here's how things work with us...would you like it?" sort of conversation. And the other two were pretty 'soft' interviews as well, IMNSVHO.

** And the idea of having more than one venue offer me a gig....As I said: surprising.

I've been told I shouldn't really be surprised. And I do know that, to be somewhat immodest, I do have some skills and talents. I just suffer from the occasional spasm of self-doubt, which many in the creative fields can be prone to.

On practical matters I think that having added the URL for my Tumblr based portfolio (which can be found here):

            A portfolio of my various work and projects, both theatrical and otherwise. 

to my resume(s) and cover letter(s) may have aided in garnering the interviews. I am hoping that I can get some additional items to post onto it from this upcoming gig. And, if the time allows, perhaps some items from additional outside projects (ie: general drawings, woodworking, etc) as well.

That's the news. 

I'll be back again with another more reflective post, the subject of which has been percolating in my synapses for a couple of weeks now, soon. 

As always, some other aspects of my web presence can be found at the links below (and, in the case of this post, above)...

                                             My school related fundraising site:
                                   Help Me Continue My Educational Momentum

                                             My general, rather eclectic, Tumblr:
                                                     Semi-Random Shavings 


Till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment