Thursday, July 21, 2011

So. Very. Close!

It's so strange to me. This will be my second academic year here at UAF and you might think that I would be potentially blase about the process of registering and all such stuff. Yet it is quite the opposite. I find myself today feeling like a DIY nerd in the new tool section. Yes, I know that the standard cliche is child in a candy store but, as it has been some time since I was physically a child or physically in a candy store....you take my point.

The only current stumbling block to stuff is that one of my courses needs instructor approval. And that instructor is out of state currently working on a design gig. Sigh. But with the wonders of the series of tubes we ofttimes call the interwebz perhaps it will be accomplished shortly. Until it does I am not at the level of "full time student" based on required number of hours. Thus the subject line of this post. Sigh.

After that and once financial aid disbursement happens it will be book buying time. So far the only class for the Fall that has an actual required text is my Art History course. And that book looks to be a monster. I may have to borrow the scene shop hand dolly to tote it around. Plus it also bears a standard "textbook price tag". Yikes!!!

I also have to admit that I fear I will need to add computer shopping to my list. My laptop, while still sort of viable, is showing some wear and tear. Sort of like the person who owns and operates it. Of course, if computer years are like dog years it is worth noting that immediately after I bought it and attempted to go online to register it (fresh out of the box) the Acer online system told me that that unit was "past it's service life and no longer eligible for warranty." And that was back in 2007. Based on Moores Law it is, at minimum, 2 generations old. Which is kinda ancient in CPU years. I still want my Windows XP. Yes, I know: it too has passed its service life as well. But it is generally stable and I know it. Windows 7 not so much. Even with using the CPU's here at the campus computer lab and learning some of it's (Windows 7) quirks....Shrug. Anyway, since much of what I use program-wise I carry around on a USB drive (thanks to Portableapps.Com - I love that site!!!) I am leaning heavily towards a netbook. I can get an external DVD drive that connects with USB. And I really only use an optical drive either to access my archival CD ROMS, which are currently in storage in Arkansas anyway, or to watch movies on DVD. Which I could still do with my old laptop (I am not going to trash the silly thing - it will be a great "shop computer" and such). That is my thinking as of today. If anyone has any comments or suggestions they are, as always, welcome.

Well, I need to get back to UAONLINE and finish a couple of things before the system "times out"...As always, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment