Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Steel Drums Everywhere.....

Well, The Elixir Of Love is now history. It was an interesting experience and I will work for/with Opera Fairbanks again. I mean after all, how many times do you get the chance to work with a conductor and stage director from NYC's Metropolitan Opera? And that's who they bring in, since the Met season closes in May and that makes such folks available. My next self appointed task is to get connected with another group here in town, the Fairbanks Drama Association. I'm trolling to see if I can get a scenic design gig for at least one of their six shows in the 2011-2012 season. No pay but it'd be a portfolio builder. We shall see....

In other news, the Summer Arts Festival has set up shop on campus. Thus the title of this entry. The lab space, where I should be working on some maintenance projects for the theatre department, is filled with a huge set up for a steel drums class. And when they did the set up the folks shoved everything that was in the lab back into one section that the facilities folks will be needing to get to within the next week or so. Which really makes that impossible. And the festival folks also have an annoying habit of not closing doors to potentially dangerous areas (such as the scene shop with all of it's stationary power tools) once they are done moving items through those areas. Sigh. It would be potentially so easy for us to work together if they had just contacted the department rather than just assuming that, since they have been here for the last two years, we would automatically schedule ourselves around them. Which is what one of the festival folks basically said to me: "Well, we've been here the last two years so you would think someone would assume...." Of course, he himself followed that statement with "Of course, assumptions can be dangerous."

As for non work/theatre related stuff:

I'm an excited fanboy - Friday the movie Captain America: The First Avenger opens. I'm pretty anxious to see it. Due to opera conflicts and stuff I still need to see X-Men: First Class and Green Lantern too.

On Saturday there is the Golden Days Parade. Golden Days is an annual salute to those folks who founded the city of Fairbanks, most especially Felix Pedro who discovered gold locally. I'll be joining the College Of Liberal Arts contingent and walking in the parade. Which should be an interesting experience.

Well, that's all that crosses my mind this AM. I need to get back to the theatre and get started on some projects. More later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment